Arissa Lavigny-Duval is the 16th and current reigning Emperor of the Empire since 18 October 3301. She has a reputation for tackling hard issues head on. Her political platform is built on honour, and she has a focus on tackling corruption. She is the biological daughter of late emperor Hengist Duval and half-sister of Harold Duval.
Meet the Powers – Arissa Lavigny-Duval
Continuing this GalNet exclusive series, political commentator Marcus Macmillan writes his opinion of some of the movers and shakers in 3301. In this second article he looks at one of the most respected women in Imperial politics: Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval.
Arissa Lavigny-Duval’s success as a senator often eclipses the fact that as the daughter of the late Prince Aristide de Lavigny, she is also a princess by birth. It says much of her character that she prefers to represent herself with her achievements rather than just her bloodline. In Imperial politics, of course, having the right bloodline is also an asset and she is astute enough to make use of it when she needs to.
In popularity she rivals Princess Aisling Duval, partly because she is happy to tackle hard issues head on. Her primary platform is one of honour and she devotes much of her attention to tackling corruption. She is a familiar face in the Imperial Court and her views often reflect those of the Emperor. The planned wedding between Emperor Hengist Duval and her mother, Florence Lavigny, will secure her position as next in line if anything should befall the Emperor.
27 JUN 3304
- While the Imperial Palace offered cordial congratulations for the impending marriage of Princess Aisling Duval and Federal Ambassador Jordan Rochester, Emperor Arissa had yet to issue a personal statement. News agencies on Capitol reported that Princess Aisling had not discussed the engagement with the Imperial Family beforehand, and Emperor Arissa had not given her consent to the marriage.
08 FEB 3304
- Galactic Leaders Renew Appeals for Aid. Federal President Zachary Hudson and Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval have issued fresh appeals for aid for the 17 stations damaged by Thargoid attacks, imploring independent pilots to support relief efforts.
22 OCT 3301
- In a statement, the Emperor expressed her gratitude to those who had delivered gifts of slaves to Dawes Hub for her.
Template:Quote 21 OCT 3301
- Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval denounced Emperor's Dawn as enemies of the Empire, and praised Senator Denton Patreus's handling of the fight against them.
18 OCT 3301
- Arissa Lavigny-Duval was crowned Emperor in a ceremony at the Imperial Palace, on Capitol in the Achenar system.
Template:Quote 15 OCT 3301
- In a more "inclusive" version of the tradition of Imperial citizens bestowing gifts upon their new Emperor, Arissa Lavigny-Duval announced that she would accept gifts of slaves from any citizen of the galaxy. Those not already Imperial slaves would be reclassified as such, almost certainly improving their quality of life. The permit restriction for access to Achenar would be lifted for the duration of the appeal, and its success would result in a temporary discount and loosening of sales restrictions on Imperial ships.
06 OCT 3301
- After a Senate vote, Arissa Lavigny-Duval was declared Emperor.
15 SEP 3301
- After a day at the Senate, Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval answered some questions from reporters. She said that what the Empire needed was stability and continuity, and that Hengist Duval had shared with her his plans for the Empire to build on its strengths of justice and tradition. "I consider it my duty to make sure that his vision becomes a reality." When asked if she considered herself his heir, she replied:
Template:Quote 05 AUG 3301
- Just before the wedding that would have legitimised Arissa, Hengist Duval was stabbed by a member of the congregation. He died en route to a medical facility.
02 APR 3301
- Following an attempted assassination of the Emperor by unknown parties, Princess Arissa Lavigny-Duval made a public address on the steps of the Imperial Palace.
Template:Quote 22 DEC 3300
- Her biological father, Hengist Duval, and her mother, Florence Lavigny, announced their plan to get married. This would make her next in line to the throne once the ceremony had taken place. Arissa Lavigny declared that she would change her last name to "Duval".
20 DEC 3300
- Arissa Lavigny declared that Prince Aristide Lavigny wasn't her actual father, and that she was the illegitimate daughter of Emperor Hengist Duval. This would put her claim to the throne above Aisling Duval's.